Dr Peter Brooks
Program 2: Honey Bee Products
Dr Peter Brooks is a Senior Lecturer in Chemistry at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) and Lead Scientist with the USC Honey Research Lab. His team of research students and scientists are developing methods, and analysing biomarkers and active components of Australian Leptospermum honeys.
- Pappalardo, M., Pappalardo, L and Brooks, P. Rapid and Reliable HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Determination of Dihydroxyacetone, Methylglyoxal and 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural in Leptospermum Honeys. (2016) PLOS ONE http://dx.doi.org/10.journal.pone.0167006
- Cokcetin, N.N., Pappalardo, M., Campbell, L.T., Brooks, P., Carter, D.A., Blair, S.E. and Harry, E.J. The antibacterial activity of Australian Leptospermum honeys correlates with the methylglyoxal levels. (2016) PLOS ONE accepted PONE-D-16-27537R1
- Carter, D.A., Blair, S.E., Cokcetin, N.N., Bouzo, D., Brooks, P., Schothauer, R. and. Harry, E.J. Therapeutic Manuka Honey: No Longer So Alternative. (2016) Frontiers in Microbiology.
- Norton, Amanda M., McKenzie, Leah N., Brooks, P. R. and Pappalardo, L. Quantitation of Dihydroxyacetone in Australian Leptospermum Nectar via High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. (2015) Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 63, pp. 6513-6517
- Meloncelli, D.M., Windsor, S.A.M. and Brooks, P. Chemical profiles of honeys originating from different floral sources and geographic locations examined by a combination of three extraction and analysis techniques. (2015) Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, 7(2) pp. 169-184
- Williams, S., King, J., Revell, M., Manley-Harris, M., Balks, M., Janusch, F., Kiefer, M., Clearwater, M., Brooks, P. and Dawson, M. Regional, Annual, and Individual Variations in the Dihydroxyacetone Content of the Nectar of Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) in New Zealand. (2014) Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 62, (42) 10332-10340
- Windsor, S., Kavazos, K., Brooks, P. The quantitation of hydroxymethylfurfural in Australian Leptospermum honeys (2013) Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, 5 (1), pp. 21-25.
- Windsor, S.A.M., Brooks, P. Essential oils from Leptospermums of the Sunshine Coast and northern rivers regions (2012) Chemistry Central Journal, article 38.
- Windsor, S., Pappalardo, M., Brooks, P., Williams, S., Manley-Harris, M. A convenient new analysis of dihydroxyacetone and Methylglyoxal applied to Australian Leptospermum honeys (2012) Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy, 4 (1), pp. 6-11.