Md Khairul Islam
PhD - UWA
Project 13: A Novel Approach to Authentication and Quality Control of Western Australian Honeys using High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography.
I completed my Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm) and Master of Pharmacy (MPharm) from the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. After that, I worked as Product Executive (Marketing) in ACI Pharma and Opsonin Pharma for about a year before changing my carrier path towards academia. I have worked as a Lecturer at the Department of Pharmacy at Varendra University, Bangladesh for three and a half years before moving to Perth for my PhD studies at the University of Western Australia in October 2018. Previously I was involved in research on food microbiology and now I am working in the field of medicinal chemistry (Authentication and Quality Control of Honey) at the Division of Pharmacy. My research is funded by the Cooperative Research Centre for Honey Bee Products (CRC HBP).
- Understanding antioxidant activity in honey
- Research paper: A validated method for the quantitative determination of sugars in honey using high-performance thin-layer chromatography
- Research paper: Sugar profiling of honeys for authentication and detection of adulterants using High-Performance Thin Layer Chromatography
- Research Paper: Antioxidant HPTLC-DPPH Fingerprinting of Honeys and Tracking of Antioxidant Constituents Upon Thermal Exposure
- Journal highlights HPTLC for honey analysis
- CAMAG Webinar: The Concept of Fully Automated HPTLC Analysis on the Example of Sugars in Honey