Honey Bee Products
Australian beekeepers have a reliable market supplying non-differentiated blended honey through supermarket chains. Product price is severely constrained by what supermarkets perceive as customer value. Based on perceived health benefits, differentiation of Manuka, Jarrah and Leatherwood honeys are achieving higher prices. This programme worked to characterise Australian honeys so that each product can be identified by the end user as authentic, as recognised by unique compounds and pollen, chemical-free and known by its health benefits. Besides extensive chemistry expertise this CRC had specific antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant expertise, and an array of other bioassays amongst its collaborators that can test honey bee products for their efficacy and provide clinical proof of the benefits of honey bee products. This will lead to greater access and competitiveness in the higher-value health food and nutraceutical markets.
- Output 1: HPTLC-system for honey nectar signatures and authenticity
- Output 2: Manuka production areas across Australian mapped
- Output 3 : New antibacterial assay and new active honeys discovered
- Output 4: Leatherwood, Jarrah and Marri monoflorals chemically described
- Output 5: Pollen database for the south-west of WA